Marcia's Blog is a lifestyle change and dieting blog written by a beloved and respected nutritionist/weight loss counselor/lecturer Marcia Bodenstein. She has helped thousands of kosher consumers achieve and maintain weight loss.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hi everyone! I was away for the weekend so I am writing later than usual. I hope you all had a great Fourth of July...and now summer has officially begun. Of course I went to the requisite "4th of July barbecue" and of course I was astounded by the amount of food. What did not surprise me was how tempting it all was - no matter how long I am on this journey of self-discovery, of weight loss (and gains), no matter how "aware" I am, no matter how much I know about emotional eating and can discern what is physical hunger and what is not, the food will always call to me. Whether I answer or not is my CHOICE, and believe me, sometimes that decision is not easy or simple. So many factors go into making those choices, not the least of which is "am I sleep deprived?" Yes, Optinosh, sleep is definitely a missing link in weight control. First of all, when you are tired, all bets are off. You are more hungry (or what feels like hungry), you dont have the "strength" to fight cravings. Also, when you are asleep, your body is producting LEPTIN, which aids in the fat-burning process. While we are awake, we are producting GHRELIN, an fat-burning inhibitor. So...go to sleep! I find that if I wake up 1 hour earlier in the morning, I can accomplish much more than dragging myself through the late-night hours trying to do more than I am able to at that time.
Another thing I find invaluable to weight loss effort is SUPPORT! It is so important for me to have someone to talk to that understands these food issues, someone who doesnt say to me "just eat less" or "push yourself away from the table". I understand "roll yoursself away from the table". I have to have someone supporting me who "gets it". That's why I so appreciate all of your comments and I am SO EXCITED about our new START FRESH FORUM, vehicle for discussing anything and everything having to do with our weight-loss, healthier lifestyle efforts. I look forward to joining you all there!
Lovestoeat, thank you for remembering my friend. He is doing well, back to work but definitely changing some things. He is walking every morning, giving up some work hours, eating many more vegetables, fruits and whole grains and starting to drink water. Amazing what can happen when you feel pushed against the wall...but do we have to wait so long?
As always, I thank all of you for your appreciation of the efforts of startfresh.com - we're here to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to tell myself that those parties are the only times that I allow myself to not have to pay too much attention to eating right. But it's not true: I allow too much of those times. I have just listened to your latest lecture audio posting on the subject of "Maturity", and I can't thank you enough for sharing that. So often I tell others how adults need to be responsible for their actions, etc., etc. So why is that so hard to apply to one's diet? To one's own health? It's a struggle, but you help a lot.
Thank you.