Marcia's Blog is a lifestyle change and dieting blog written by a beloved and respected nutritionist/weight loss counselor/lecturer Marcia Bodenstein. She has helped thousands of kosher consumers achieve and maintain weight loss.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Well, dear friends, this is it - I am leaving today for vacation and then for Pesach. What a challenge! I am going to visit 2 homes,and 2 quite different homes at that. First, there is my friend's house. She overbuys, overcooks, overeats, and guess what her weight is like? The challenge for me is to not fall into her fridge and cabinets where all my "red light foods" lurk. It takes a lot of talking to yourself... evaluating the consequences of the actions that you are taking. Can I live tomorrow with the decisions I made today? Sure, bottomless pit, it would be nice to have a personal chef, a "wife", someone to take care of your every need BUT I know that if I want to overeat, I will find a way, and if I want to eat right, I know I will find a way. The key is to "parent" yourself! And yes, it's harder - BUT - WHAT SEEMS EASIER IN THE BEGINNING MAKES YOUR LIFE HARDER LATER.
The next house (for the days of Yom Tov) is one where everyone eats somewhat "normally" - no food issues here. They eat until they are comfortably satisfied and STOP. They eat a bit of dessert and STOP. When they are not hungry, they don't eat. So, what's the challenge here? It's thinking that I can eat like they do - "If they can eat just a little, then maybe I can too". BUT my experience has shown me over and over that I dont STOP like they do, I just keep going. If I don't take that first unplanned bite, I never have to worry about where I am going to stop.
Dear lovetoeat, I know you love to eat the wrong foods too -we all do-BUT as much as we want the food - we don't want the consequences, they are just too great. I am so glad you are doing welll - keep up the good work!
Sweet - I am really happy that you are feeling better and back to your eating and exercise routine. It really doesn't pay to WORRY about Pesach - worrying without action gets you nowhere. Decide which actions you will take to insure some control during this very challenging time.
So whether you will be at home or celebrating elsewhere PLAN TO BE SUCCESSFUL - that's the most important plan.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a "chag kosher v'samayach", and to thank you for all your support - I am certainly taking you with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So now I'm waiting for Pesach to take action. Thanks for your encouragement. Let's see if I can "liberate" myself this Pesach, and do good for me.